The VFR-over-the-top rating – one of the ratings some pilots complete after achieving their Private Pilot Licence.
A VFR-over-the-top rating allows you to:
- Operate aeroplanes endorsed on their licence over top of cloud while maintaining visual reference to the horizon.
- Conditions at the point of departure and arrival must adhere to certain VFR weather minimums.
- Valid Private Pilot Licence
- Valid Category 1 or 3 Medical Certificate
To achieve your vfr-over-the-top rating you must have completed a minimum of:
- 15 hours of dual instrument time of which a maximum of 5 hours may be instrument ground time
- demonstrate to your instructor the level of skill specified in the Flight Instructor Guide – VFR OTT.