Congratulations to LIFT Recipients!
The LIFT Scholarship was created to assist student pilots. Training to be a pilot is costly and most aviation students are not eligible for OSAP, or other financial support. In 2017, WWFC established the WWFC Golf Tournament to raise funds for student pilot scholarships.
LIFT was chosen as the name for the scholarship because it is a familiar aviation term, as well as a perfect representation of what the scholarship sets out to do – give student pilots a lift in their flight training both in terms of financial assistance, as well as confidence.
Congratulations to our past recipients! Be sure to watch the latest video where they share their stories and what being a LIFT recipient has meant to them.
- Evan Diebel, 2018
- Emils Matiss, 2018
- Ashley Gellatly, 2019
- Ayesha Khan, 2019
- Cristian Ospina, 2019
- Sarjaan Sivasubramaniam, 2019
- Santiago Gordillo, 2020
- Meghan Posthumus, 2020
- Haonan Su, 2020
- Mohammed Qasim Syed, 2020
APPLICATIONS – 2021 applications are not open yet. Please check back.
Value & Duration 2020
Four 2020 LIFT Scholarships are valued at $4,000 each and will be awarded to four students who are continuing their flight training at Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (WWFC). The funds are to be used within one year at WWFC for flight training. The year starts on the date the funds are awarded. When the funds are added to the recipient’s account these funds are used for flight training first. If the funds are not used within the timeframe, WWFC reserves the right to reclaim the remaining funds to be used for other scholarships.
In future years, WWFC will determine the value and duration of an award based on the funds raised from specific fundraising initiatives.
LIFT Scholarships are awarded through detailed review of application, eligibility and relevance of response to prescribed questions. Applications include education and flight training status (i.e. good standing), financial need and an essay or video based on prescribed topics (See Application Form).
To qualify for a LIFT scholarship you must:
- Be a WWFC student in a post-secondary aviation program, including stand alone CPL;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be a student in an advanced phase of the program (must hold at least a PPL); and
- Be a student who has not previously been awarded a LIFT Scholarship (previous applicants who have applied, but not been awarded can still apply).
To Hold An Award
LIFT Scholarships are only tenable at WWFC for flight training purposes. There are no exceptions. The funds must be used within a year of being awarded. LIFT Scholarship funds cannot be redeemed for cash, nor can they be transferred. Should funds not be used within one year of being awarded, they will revert to the scholarship fund.
Candidates eligible for the LIFT Scholarship will be evaluated by the scholarship committee. The committee will determine the top applicants and may request an in-person interview. The committee will then determine the award recipients.
- Complete and submit one application form, together with the required attachments (essay or video).
- Drop off the application and attachments by 5:00pm EST February 21, 2020, in the drop box at WWFC OR email it to email@example.com. Any applications submitted after 5:00pm EST February 21, 2020 will not be considered.
- Name and contact information.
- Employment and living status.
- Post-secondary and flight training status information.
- Essay of 2,000 words or less OR video of 3-5 minutes (submitted on a USB or emailed) addressing one or more of the following topics. Please note: The last item (d) MUST be included:
- What does this scholarship mean to you?
- How would you give back to the aviation community in the future?
- Why is a career in aviation important to you?
- Will your available financial resources allow you to finish your flight training? What support do you have to finish and what steps are you taking to financially support your aviation plans?
To submit your application, fill out the online form located below, or download the Application Form and submit at the Pilot Shop. Printed copies of the Application Form are also available in the Pilot Shop, if needed.
Evaluation & Adjudication
Applications are adjudicated by the LIFT Scholarship committee made up of three to five WWFC board members and/or associates. Candidates eligible for the LIFT Scholarship will be evaluated by the scholarship committee. The committee will determine the top applicants and may request an in-person interview. The committee will then determine the award recipients. WWFC then awards the winners at the annual Wings Banquet.
The evaluation is measured by:
- Status in a structured post-secondary aviation program
- Financial need
- Relevance and creativity of essay and/or video based on the prescribed topics
The scholarship committee is not made up of WWFC staff. Information included in the application form is not shared with WWFC staff and is kept confidential. Only applicant names may be shared.
Regulations, Policies & Related Information
WWFC and the LIFT Scholarship committee reserves the right to determine the eligibility of applications based on the information therein. WWFC and the scholarship committee also reserve the right to interpret the regulations governing its scholarship opportunities set out in its published materials (both hardcopy and softcopy).
WWFC welcomes feedback and questions on any of the scholarship parameters.
Privacy & Application Disposal
WWFC and its associates will never share, sell or rent personal information without advance permission or unless ordered by a court of law. For applicants who are under the age of 18, we strongly recommend that permission of a parent or guardian is obtained before providing WWFC with any information.
The information provided for the LIFT scholarship application will be used solely for the LIFT scholarship program and any communications WWFC has with applicants will be for information purposes, to administer the scholarship award, provide more information and/or thank applicants.
WWFC will take precautions to protect the information provided by all applicants from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, alteration or destruction. All committee members, WWFC employees and associates are made aware of the importance WWFC places on privacy and what they can do to ensure customer information is protected.
Each application form will be properly and securely destroyed within three months of the scholarship being awarded to the winning recipients.
If at any time an applicant would like the information he/she has provided to be deleted from our records, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIFT Scholarship Committee
Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre
3-4881 Fountain Street North, Breslau, ON N0B 1M0
This form is currently closed for submissions.