Comprehensive Three Day UAV Pilot Training Course
Whether flying a drone for work or research, the Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre’s training course will ensure you have the knowledge you need to operate safely and reliably in Canadian airspace.
Why choose us?
Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (WWFC) is one of the largest professional flight schools in Canada. We know aviation and we know UAVs/drones. Our course provides you with practical, up-to-date information, so you can safely operate under Transport Canada‘s Exemptions (under 1kg or 1-25kg) or under your Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC).
The benefits of our training are invaluable. We provide students with the required aviation knowledge, a radio licence and training on how to apply for the SFOC properly, all in a professionally run and active flight training facility.
Our course is Transport Canada (TC) compliant, meaning we cover the materials outlined as necessary by TC’s knowledge document TP15263.
- WWFC Instructors are licensed flight instructors (commercial pilots) and Aircraft Mechanics.
- External instructors bring years of commercial UAV/drone flying experience to you.
- Ongoing support through our graduates Facebook group.
- WWFC closely follows TC and industry developments.
- WWFC is a member of Unmanned Systems Canada and partnered with several UAV manufacturers.
- Our intensive program is designed to introduce operators to the range of scope of the two categories of UAV exemptions (under 1kg or from 1-25kg).
- Current regulation through Transport Canada (TC) requires most UAV operators to obtain a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) to operate a UAV for commercial purposes.
- Training will provide the knowledge and resources required to operate a UAV safely and in compliance with TC requirements.
- Aviation restricted radio operators licence
- WWFC course notes including SFOC application guidance and template
- One hour hands-on flight experience
- Professional mission, demonstration by Scott Gray
- Course binder and reference materials
- Theory of flight as it applies to all UAVs
- Air law
- Mission planning and site surveys
- Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC)
- Operating under exemptions
- Human Factors
- UAV maintenance
- Interpretation of Aeronautical Chart
- UAV Control Systems
Cost: $549.00 + HST
Cancellation Policy: We require 14 days cancellation notice prior to your scheduled arrival. A transfer to another class is permitted, otherwise no refund will be issued.
We offer customized UAV training services for groups of seven or more.
Please contact UAV Business Development, Sarah Spry at 519-648-2213 ext 106 directly for more information on this training option.
Meet one of your UAV training instructors!
Scott Gray, President of AVIDRONE Aerospace Inc.
Scott provides hands-on technical UAV flight training for Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre’s (WWFC) UAV program. Scott is an entrepreneur and local business leader, and his UAV expertise combined with his professional aviation flight training background brings a high-level of professionalism to WWFC’s unique program.
About Scott Gray
- Years of experience flying UAV helicopters and camera-equipped, custom built UAV helicopters and octocopters for low-level aerial photography and HD video.
- Holds a Transport Canada SFOC for UAV flying.
- Mechanical designer and has developed and worked on many UAV and radio controlled projects ranging from a few pounds up to 900lbs flying weight.